4 New Ways to Ride the Rails with MIR in 2017
In an age when travel is often about finding the quickest way from point A to point B, rail journeys by private train provide a refreshing escape from the familiar. Effortless and efficient, yet brimming with Old World charm, these journeys allow you to roll across thousands of miles through fascinating destinations along the rails while still enjoying access to modern comforts and amenities.
Our impressive roster of rail journeys can take you through many of MIR’s core destinations, from along the Trans-Siberian Railway to across the Silk Route and through the South Caucasus. And for 2017, we’re offering more ways to ride the rails than ever before with the addition of 4 new rail journeys by private train.
From the complex Balkan chessboard to the wild Russian Arctic, the exotic cultural landscapes of Tibet and Western China and the sophisticated cities of Central and Eastern Europe, our new rail journeys can take you to some of the today’s most exciting and extraordinary destinations.
Hellenic Treasures by Private Train
Glide in style from the edges of the old Ottoman Empire in Budapest to the heart of Ancient Greece, glorious Athens. Begin in Hungary and continue through the modern Balkan countries of Slovenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Bulgaria before exploring Thessaloniki, Greece’s second city, and ending in its first, Athens. Encounter four UNESCO sites on either a southbound or a northbound route as you:
- Admire 13th century Matthias Church, used as a mosque during Turkish rule, from 1541 to 1686.
- Tour the Sarajevo Tunnel Museum with a survivor from Bosnia and Herzegovina who used the tunnel to escape the shelling, and hear his personal story.
- Explore Belgrade’s Kalemegdan Fortress, the ancient citadel that includes remnants of the early Roman and Byzantine towns.
- Stroll the cobbled streets of Plovdiv’s Old Town and admire its 3,000-seat Roman amphitheater, built by Marcus Aurelius.
- Wander the ruins of Athens’ UNESCO-listed Acropolis, one of the most important sites remaining from classical antiquity.
Southbound: June 24-July 4, 2017
Northbound: July 1-11, 2017
Price: from $9,195 (per person, double occupancy)
View or download the detailed itinerary for more information on the Hellenic Treasures rail journey by private train.
Land of the Midnight Sun by Private Train
Join a band of adventurous travelers during the “White Nights” of summer on a luxury rail journey celebrating the Midnight Sun. Beginning in magnificent Moscow, take advantage of the long, sun-filled days as the train heads north beyond the Arctic Circle. The journey culminates in sumptuous St. Petersburg, where fashionable boulevards, serene canals and the city’s beautiful 300-year-old buildings glisten in the warm summer nights. Along the way, travelers will:
- Board the world’s first nuclear-powered ice-breaker, the Lenin, now a museum ship.
- Take an evening boat ride through the majestic Norwegian fjords in the warm glow of the Midnight Sun.
- Embark on a king crab fishing adventure out on the Barents Sea.
- Toast the longest day of the year at a special summer solstice cocktail party and gala dinner.
- Marvel at the luminous amber panels on the walls of the fully restored Amber Room at Catherine’s Palace.
Dates: June 15-26, 2017
Price: from $11,995 (per person, double occupancy)
View or download the detailed itinerary for more information on the Land of the Midnight Sun rail journey by private train.
Tibet & China Rail Discovery
Explore the City of the Sun, Lhasa, with its massive, UNESCO-listed Potala Palace. Then hop the special high-altitude train, descending from Lhasa’s 12,000 feet down to Golmud at 9,200, and transfer to a comfortable private train to discover the Buddhist caves and teeming bazaars of exotic Western China. Along the way:
- Ascend to the “Roof of the World” and become acquainted with the Holy City of Lhasa.
- Bargain with locals in the Barkhor Market, striking deals on everything from prayer wheels to coral jewelry.
- Tour the UNESCO-listed Mogao Caves, which present a thousand-year study in the development of Buddhist art in China.
- Learn about the ancient karez in Turpan, the long-lived underground wells that collect and distribute the glacial meltwater from the Tien Shan Mountains.
- Browse the fantastic animal section at the Kashgar Sunday Market, where you can find anything from a herd of fat-tailed sheep to a single camel ready for a test drive.
Dates: October 6-17, 2017
Price: from $9,995 (per person, double occupancy)
View or download the detailed itinerary for more information on the Tibet & China Rail Discovery rail journey by private train.
Treasures of Eastern Europe by Private Train
Range across six European countries – Italy, Czech Republic, Germany, Poland, Austria and Hungary – on this deluxe 14-day rail journey through the heart of Europe. From romantic Venice, roll through the classic cities of Prague, Berlin, Krakow, and Vienna, ending in Budapest for concerts and a cruise on Lake Balaton. Encounter seven UNESCO World Heritage Sites as you:
- Admire Prague Castle, the largest ancient castle in the world and an enduring symbol of Prague.
- Visit the Checkpoint Charlie Museum, commemorating the only place along the Berlin Wall where western travelers and military personnel could enter East Berlin
- Explore the huge and beautiful UNESCO-listed medieval fortress of Malbork, built in the 13th century by the Order of Teutonic Knights.
- Wander the medieval town center of historic Krakow, which UNESCO included on its first list of World Cultural Heritage Sites.
- Enjoy a private concert featuring members of the Vienna Boys’ Choir in an elegant baroque palace in Vienna, the undisputed capital of the music world in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Dates: August 16-29, 2017
Price: from $11,595 (per person, double occupancy)
View or download the detailed itinerary for more information on the Treasures of Eastern Europe rail journey by private train.
Travel with MIR on a 2017 Rail Journey by Private Train
MIR is an award-winning company with over 30 years of travel experience in this area of the world, as well as affiliate offices in Siberia, Western Russia and Uzbekistan, providing a superior edge in on-the-ground operations.
MIR makes it easy to discover incredible destinations on all of our private rail journeys. Each train departure features comfortable accommodations, modern amenities, and superb service on board, and allows travelers to easily and efficiently cover thousands of miles across multiple time zones.
Need more reasons to ride the rails with MIR? Be sure to take advantage of these special offers, running for a limited time:
- Early Booking Savings: Save $100 per person when you book a scheduled 2017 small group tour or rail journey by private train by December 31, 2016. (more info)
- Booking multiple trips with MIR? Book two scheduled group tours and save $100 per person, per tour. (more info)
- Traveling solo on a rail journey by private train aboard the Golden Eagle?
Give us a call at 1-800-424-7289 or email us to talk with one of our experts about your rail travel dreams. With so many new rail journeys available and fabulous special savings offers to boot, one of them is sure to fit your style, schedule and budget.
(Top photo: Rolling along the rails aboard the Golden Eagle Danube Express.)
PUBLISHED: September 29, 2016