6 Ways to Explore the Silk Road by Private Train
For more than a thousand years, the interconnecting web of routes known as the Silk Road was at the heart of economic and cultural exchange between East and West. Winding through fabled oasis cities such as Samarkand and Bukhara, this legendary conduit gave rise to the trade of precious silks, spices, metals, and jewels that fueled ancient empires, and spread ideas, technology, art, and spiritual beliefs that shaped the ancient world.
Camel caravans of old once trudged through treacherous desert sands and mountain passes, but today, you can follow in the footsteps of ancient merchants, monks, conquerors, and explorers aboard a comfortable and stylish rail journey by private train.
The time to visit these fascinating Silk Road countries is now, and what better way to traverse their vast desert expanses than in the comfort and style of a private train?
Ways to Travel the Silk Road by Train
Our collection of rail journeys by private train through Central Asia includes a total of six train routes along the Silk Road:
- 17-day rail journey from: Moscow to Almaty via Central Asia aboard the luxury Golden Eagle
- Stops in 6 countries: Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
- 21-day rail journey from: Beijing to Moscow via Central Asia aboard the luxury Golden Eagle
- Stops in 5 countries: China, Kazakhstan, Russia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
- 13-day rail journey from: Urumqi to Lhasa aboard the Shangri-La Western Express
- Stops in: China and Tibet
- 14-day rail journey between: Almaty and Ashgabat aboard the Orient Silk Road Express
- Stops in 3 countries: Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
- 16-day rail journey from: Almaty to Tashkent aboard the Orient Silk Road Express
- Stops in 4 countries: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan
- 16-day rail journey from: South Caucasus to Central Asia aboard the luxury Golden Eagle
- Stops in 6 countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
Travel with MIR on a Rail Journey by Private Train
MIR makes it easy to discover incredible destinations on all of our private rail journeys. Each train departure features comfortable accommodations, modern amenities, and superb service on board, and allows travelers to easily and efficiently cover thousands of miles across multiple time zones.
Give us a call at 1-800-424-7289 or email us to talk with one of our experts about your rail travel dreams. With so many rail journeys available, one of them is sure to fit your style, schedule and budget.
Top photo: Khiva’s Old Town in Uzbekistan. Photo credit: Peter Guttman
PUBLISHED: October 30, 2019