Travel to Russia and Poland in Winter? You Bet!
The cities take on a warm patina in the slanted winter sunlight, and theaters, restaurants and teahouses welcome passersby in from the snowy streets. The countryside looks like a scene out of Dr Zhivago, as grownups and kids alike skate, slide and play in the freshly fallen snow. Experience ice fishing on frozen Lake Baikal, celebrate New Year’s Eve at Catherine’s Palace in St Petersburg, search for Northern Lights above the Arctic Circle, and ride horse-drawn sleighs.
Browse the brilliant stalls of Krakow’s Christmas Market, looking for hand crafted ornaments, regional costumes, seasonal treats and Nativity scenes. After a brisk sleigh ride, warm yourself at a bonfire, roasting kielbasa and enjoying a festive tasting of Polish vodka. Gather with a Polish family in their home for a traditional Wigilia, the Christmas Eve vigil and dinner.
- Celebrate New Year’s in St. Petersburg: Attend the Czar’s Ball in Catherine’s Palace or dine in a private Russian home.
- Make your own holiday on a Siberian Winter Escapade.
- Venture across Russia by private train on a deluxe Trans-Siberian winter rail journey.
- Cross the Arctic Circle by private train, searching for Northern Lights and visiting a snow hotel.
- Go beyond Russia and travel with friends and family to discover Christmas Traditions of Poland.
- Design your own Winter Experience with the help of MIR travel experts. Interested in a custom family trip or private travel? Check out MIR’s Flexible Essential Private Trips, or contact us to design a custom journey just for you!
An award-winning tour company, MIR has focused on building creative, culturally immersive small group tours and custom and private journeys along the Silk Route, the Trans-Siberian Railway, to Russia and beyond, since 1986.
Winter Wonder Land: New Year’s in Russia
This classic journey to Russia’s economic and cultural capitals of Moscow and St. Petersburg, as well as a few days spent in the Golden Ring towns of Vladimir and Suzdal, takes place over the most festive time of year – New Year’s.
No one loves New Year’s like the Russians do: this celebratory tour includes the option to attend the glittering Czar’s Ball or spend time in a private St. Petersburg home ringing in the New Year.
Siberian Winter Escapade
When snow bends the evergreen boughs in a Zhivago-esque backdrop, UNESCO-listed Lake Baikal freezes so hard that you can walk on water, race teams of sled dogs, and fish through the ice.
Experience the rare opportunity to sweep across the frozen lake by hovercraft to sacred Olkhon Island, the place where the indigenous Buryat people believe the gods of Baikal to have lived. Enjoy Siberian specialties in the home of a Baikal village family: fresh-frosted Baikal fish reminiscent of sashimi, vodka served in shot glasses made of ice, and traditional Buryat winter sausages.
Trans-Siberian Winter Wonder Land
Travel by deluxe train between Moscow and Vladivostok on a fascinating Russian odyssey featuring tours of nine locations, including the charming city of Suzdal in Russia’s Golden Ring and Siberia’s Lake Baikal.
Frozen in winter, Lake Baikal is the perfect location to experience the thrill of an ice ride. Choose an exciting snowmobile ride or opt to ride a dog sled. Try your hand at ice fishing and enjoy the freshly caught fish quick-smoked in a mobile smokehouse and served warm – delicious!
Relax in the comfort of Russia’s most exclusive private train, the Golden Eagle Trans-Siberian Express, on one of two departures:
Arctic Explorer by Private Train
Join a band of rail voyagers venturing above the Arctic Circle on a winter hunt for the spectacular Northern Lights in the warmth and comfort of a private train. Head north from frosty St. Petersburg and cross the Arctic Circle near the Norwegian town of Kirkenes, squarely within the Aurora Borealis Zone.
During this journey aboard the comfortable Golden Eagle Danube Express private train:
- Chase the Northern Lights through the tundra.
- Visit the cool Snow Hotel, built of snow and furnished with ice sculptures.
- Celebrate New Year’s Eve in style, complete with champagne and caviar.
- Stop in the ice-free Arctic port of Murmansk, the Golden Ring towns of Vladimir and Suzdal, and end in magnificent Moscow
- Visit four fabulous UNESCO Sites along the way
Choose from December 2014 and December 2015 departures.
Christmas Traditions of Poland
Celebrate the heartfelt holiday traditions of Poland, wandering the brilliant Christmas Market of Krakow and joining a Polish family in their home for the intimate Christmas Eve feast called Wigilia, where you can sample 12 different traditional dishes. This wintry journey brings you close to the warm heart of Poland’s long-standing customs.
Private Family Tour to Russia
Experience the highlights of a real Russian winter on a family-friendly holiday celebration. Ice skating in the middle of the city, a descent beneath Moscow to visit Stalin’s Secret Bunker, a private New Year’s Eve get-together in a St. Petersburg home (or, for the grown-ups, an optional evening at the posh Czar’s Ball in Catherine’s Palace), and warm welcomes at world-class museums, restaurants and performances are all featured in a holiday package for your family to unwrap at its leisure.
Leave the planning to MIR and enjoy a trip of a lifetime this holiday season. Special family features available on our private tours include (but aren’t limited to):
- An exclusive tour of the Gold Rooms of the Hermitage Museum
- Red Square and the Kremlin’s Armory Museum, where the czars’ collection of Fabergé eggs is on display
- A performance of the classic ballet, The Nutcracker, at a world-class Russian theater such as the Mariinsky or the Bolshoi
- Ice skating at a special winter rink set up on Red Square
- Izmailovo Market, bursting with Russian handicrafts, Soviet memorabilia, amber jewelry and lacquer miniatures
- A ride on a horse-drawn sleigh through a countryside village
Call 800-424-7289 for more information or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.