Beautiful Banská Štiavnica is the oldest mining town in Slovakia, receiving its city charter in 1255 from the Hungarian kingdom. The volcanic Štiavnica Hills were rich in silver and gold, and there were mines here as early as 1155. The Hungarian crown built the Old Castle in the 13th century, and rebuilt it in the Renaissance style during the 16th after an earthquake. The New Castle was built as a defense against the Turks in the 16th century. Banská Štiavnica was included in the UNESCO World Heritage list in 1993 for its lovely Renaissance palaces and burghers’ homes, and for its surviving relics of the medieval mining industry.
PUBLISHED: July 23, 2013