The remains of Kaunas’ original defensive castle sit on a hill near the Neris River, having successfully performed the duty of defending Lithuania’s western borders. The Kaunas Town Hall on Rotuse Square was begun in 1542. The white Gothic building with its baroque elements is sometimes called the White Swan, because of the 170- foot tower rising like a swan’s neck from the body of the hall. In 1970 the hall was transformed into a Wedding Palace, and newlyweds can be seen emerging from the doors every Saturday morning.
Visit the St. George Church ensemble dating back to the 16th century; Vytautas Church from the 15th century; Sts Peter and Paul Cathedral, Lithuania’s largest house of worship; and the Perkunas House, a 16th century trading house built over the remains of a temple to the Thunder God, Perkunas.
PUBLISHED: July 19, 2013