Lahemaa, Land of Bays, is the only national park in Estonia. About 25 miles from Tallinn, the 160,000-acre park is set among four peninsulas and numerous islands in the Gulf of Finland. Established in 1971, the park protects bear, moose, beaver, lynx and sea birds. Hundreds of stone-covered mounds – the remnants of ancient settlements – can be found throughout the park. Also within the park’s boundaries is the 18th century cream and yellow Palmse Manor House, providing a glimpse of how the German barons lived. Begun in 1698, the elaborate manor was rebuilt in the late 1800s and exhibits exceptional period furniture. Its old bathhouse is now a romantic restaurant.
PUBLISHED: July 19, 2013