Located on the banks of the Bistrica River and in the hills of the Sharr mountains, Prizren’s history can be traced back to ancient times, when its central location made it a center of trade. The city remained an important site for both the Bulgarian and Serbian empires; the latter choosing Prizren as both the seat of the Serbian Orthodox Episcopate and the site of the Serbian government, which was housed in the Kalaja fortress. In June of 1455, the Ottomans conquered Prizren, and started urbanization of the city. Today, Prizren is known for its well-preserved architecture, gold and silver work, embroidery and handcrafts.
PUBLISHED: July 22, 2013