Turkmenbashi

Turkmenbashi

Turkmenistan’s only seaport, Turkmenbashi was originally named Krasnovodsk and came into being when Peter the Great’s emissary, Prince Alexander Bekovich, arrived at the Caspian harbor to bring Russian “protection” to the khan of Khiva. Bekovich and most of his men were promptly killed and the empire didn’t make real inroads into the area until 1819. After Sapuramat Niyazov became president in 1990, he renamed the port in honor of his title, Turkmenbashi, meaning “Father of all Turkmen.”  Turkmenistan’s largest oil refinery is located here.

 

PUBLISHED: July 16, 2013