Luxury Winter Wonder Land: A Ride Across Russia on the Trans-Siberian Railway
Most people assume that the trail of travel options goes cold during the winter months. At MIR, however, we have a variety of small group, rail journey by private train and custom travel opportunities that make it possible to revel in winter on a variety of unconventional, adventurous and even luxurious tours.
Trans-Siberian Railway: Winter Wonder Land Style
Glide across seven time zones by luxury train between Moscow and Vladivostok on the Trans-Siberian Winter Wonder Land rail journey by private train. This fascinating Russian odyssey features tours of nine locations, including the charming city of Suzdal in Western Russia‘s Golden Ring and Siberia‘s Lake Baikal.
Relax in the comfort of Russia’s most exclusive private train, the Golden Eagle Trans-Siberian Express, as it travels:
Zhivago-esque Western Russia
In the winter, Russia, and especially Moscow and the Golden Ring, are at their most regal under a blanket of fresh snow, and travelers are few. The lines at the museums are nonexistent, and people talk to you on the street as they go about their daily lives.
- Walk the bricks of fabled UNESCO-listed Red Square.
- Take an exhilarating sleigh ride in Western Russia’s Golden Ring.
- In Ekaterinburg, enter the Church on the Blood, standing over the spot where Czar Nicholas II and his family were killed in July of 1918.
- Savor a tasting of Russian vodka with an accompaniment of caviar aboard the luxury Golden Eagle private train.
- Make a stop in Novosibirsk, Siberia’s most important city, to explore Lenin Square, home to Russia’s largest Opera House.
Celebrate Siberia and Frolic on a Frozen Lake Baikal
Frozen in winter, Siberia’s Lake Baikal is the perfect location to experience the thrill of an ice ride. Choose a speedy snowmobile ride or opt to ride a dog sled. Try your hand at ice fishing and enjoy the freshly caught fish quick-smoked in a mobile smokehouse and served warm – delicious!
- Drop in at the Decembrist Museum in Irkutsk, where some of the exiled officers settled in the 19th century after their terms of forced labor were over.
- Spend some time admiring UNESCO-listed Lake Baikal on the fabulous Circumbaikal Old Railway, one of the most complicated and beautiful rail routes in the world.
- Hydrofoil over frozen Lake Baikal for winter fun – dog-sledding, ice-fishing or snow-mobiling.
- Visit Siberian villages near Ulan Ude to enjoy a home cooked meal and hear the powerful centuries-old songs of Old Believers.
- Discover the eerie sound of throat-singing – enjoy lunch and a performance of other-worldly Mongolian throat-singing in a nomadic ger.
- Discover Vladivostok, the formerly closed Pacific Rim port city flourishing on Russia’s east coast; enjoy splendid views of its Golden Horn Bay and browse its museums and memorials.
Travel the Trans-Siberian Railway with MIR
MIR has 30 years of travel experience in this slice of the globe, as well as affiliate offices in St. Petersburg, Moscow, Irkutsk and Ulan Ude, providing a decided edge in on-the-ground operations.
Travel the Trans-Siberian Railway on the Winter Wonder Land route aboard the Golden Eagle Trans-Siberian Express:
An award-winning tour company, MIR has focused on building creative, culturally immersive small group tours and custom and private journeys along the Silk Route, the Trans-Siberian Railway, to Russia and beyond, since 1986.
MIR has quality you can trust with personalized travel planning from start to finish. Patricia Schultz, author of 1,000 Places to See Before You Die, recommends MIR as the company to talk to about a Trans-Siberian journey.
Contact MIR today at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-424-7289.
(click on photo to see larger version)
(Top photo: A snowmobile ride across a frozen Lake Baikal.)
PUBLISHED: April 21, 2015