MIR’s 30 Years: Epic Journeys – Ultimate Dream Trips (VIDEO)
(Douglas Grimes is co-founder and president of MIR Corporation.)
What does it take to create an epic journey?
Imagine someone who has dreamed a travel dream for decades, but has no idea how to make it a reality. It might be seeing Siberia – not by the popular Trans-Siberian Railway – but by vintage automobile, following in the 1908 tire tracks of a pioneering motorist. It might also be exploring alluring lands of the Silk Road, through China or Central Asia, or the South Caucasus in Land Rovers – a modern-day variation of a camel caravan.
Yet, it is one experience to witness the wonders of a new country, hear a strange language, eat unfamiliar foods, or sip tea with locals. It is an entirely different experience to be the one backstage overseeing the details of that epic journey. Such “logistical wizardry” is what I love to do, and it is MIR’s deep expertise as well. Thirty years ago we at MIR began creating custom journeys for the most intrepid of travelers venturing to the territory of the U.S.S.R. Today we create journeys that span our territory at the crossroads of Europe and Asia – 35 countries – including Central Asia’s Five ‘Stans, the South Caucasus nations of Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan, China, Iran and beyond.
Here’s one of my favorite examples of long-time MIR clients who’ve taken the concept of “epic journey” and truly turned it into a family affair, traveling from two to five months on average each year in their Land Rovers, with sometimes dozens of friends and family joining them in their latest adventure:
(click on photo for larger version)
MIR’s specialty is navigating the countries at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, complex places that can stymie travelers on their own, especially at borders known for their historic and modern tensions such as Russia and China, or in countries with frequently changing border requirements like Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. We’re up-to-date on the latest information required for each country, with on-the-ground support through our local MIR-affiliated offices who aid us in overseeing logistics and in creating itineraries to surprise and satisfy even the most discerning and demanding traveler.
Year after year, we at MIR are delighted to successfully assist this Canadian couple through complex logistical challenges on each of their epic journeys.
What does it take to create an epic journey? With MIR, it’s a memorable melding of expertise, logistics, and imagination – all centered at the culturally rich crossroads of Europe and Asia.
MIR’s 30 Years, in a Nutshell
Learn more about “MIR’s 30 Years” in the stories below, all embedded with videos. They include MIR’s beginnings and the mindset and mission of MIR’s president and co-founder, Douglas Grimes; MIR’s utterly unique travel offerings at the crossroads of Europe and Asia; and Siberia, one of MIR’s favorites specialties.
You can also view the entire video series of “MIR’s 30 Years” on MIR’s YouTube channel, MIRCorpTravel, specifically under the playlist, “MIR’s 30 Years.”
- “Imagine Your Journey with MIR” (story); view video – MIR’s 30-year expertise in making dream trips come true.
- “198os Volleyball Diplomacy, and MIR’s Beginning” (story); view video – Volleyball is the game changer: a young Douglas Grimes dreams big, and his (MIR) world changes forever.
- “Back in the U.S.S.R.” (story); view video – Traveling back in time to MIR’s mid-1980s beginning, and a watershed decision.
MIR’s One-of-a-Kind Journeys
- “Handcrafted Journeys: Making MIR Movies” (story); view video – MIR’s memorable custom, private journeys are akin to making movies, including tracing family history “back in the old country.”
- “Epic Journeys: Ultimate Dream Trips” (story); view video – MIR’s adventurous overland expeditions include one Canadian couple’s extensive yearly travels, from driving along the Silk Road to motoring through China, Siberia, and the Balkans.
- “Beyond the Stars, Inside the Russian Space Program” (story); view video – MIR President Douglas Grimes’ favorite tour harkens back to the U.S.-Soviet space race, from exploring Star City’s once-classified cosmonaut training facility to witnessing the manned launch of a Soyuz spacecraft.
- “Overland Expeditions: Motorcycling with GlobeRiders” (story); view video – Intrepid motorcyclists repeatedly choose MIR for their global travel logistics, from the South Caucasus to Iran, and from Siberia to Central Asia.
- “Overland Expeditions: Roving the World in Land Rovers” (story); view Land Rovers video – Land-roving at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, MIR creates an ambitious itinerary for 54 participants and 18 vehicles, from Kazakhstan to Turkey.
Siberia, A MIR Specialty
- “Why I’m Sold on Siberia” (story); view video – Countless reasons why MIR President Douglas Grimes loves this vast, pristine place.
- “Siberia’s Beauty of Lake Baikal” (story); view video – MIR President Douglas Grimes’ lasting memories of this legendary lake in Siberia.
- “Overland Expeditions: Channeling Siberia and Beyond” (story); view video – One of MIR President Douglas Grimes’ early (ad)ventures into Siberia with one channeler, her five dozen followers, and their six sacred crystals.
- “Overland Expeditions: Driving Siberia and Beyond” (story); view video – MIR helps intrepid motorists re-create the 1908 automotive Great Race in their 1928 vintage car, down to gas station locations in Siberia and tricky border crossings.
- “Overland Expeditions: Running Through Russia and Beyond” (story); view video – MIR’s extraordinary logistics for 79 runners and support personnel, running 5,500 miles from Eastern Europe to China via Russia and Siberia, all to promote safer drinking water.
- “Overland Expeditions: Total Solar Eclipse in Siberia” (story); view video – MIR prepares three years in advance to bring more than 300 travelers – “sun chasers” – to the heart of Siberia for a rare total solar eclipse.
MIR, in a Nutshell
- “MIR in a Nutshell” (story) – Compact and concise, here’s everything you need to know about MIR on one page.
(Top photo: Camel caravan at the modern border of Tajikistan and Afghanistan along the ancient Silk Road. Photo credit: Russ & Ellen Cmolik)
PUBLISHED: October 12, 2016