MIR’s 30 Years: Roving the World in Land Rovers
(Douglas Grimes is co-founder and president of MIR Corporation.)
MIR is known for its creativity in finding truly uncommon places and sharing those destinations, people, and cultures with MIR travelers. For many years, the team at MIR has had the privilege of helping MIR travelers create dream journeys to places few have heard of, let alone have traveled to: on foot, on motorcycle, in cars, in 4×4 Land Rovers.
We call them “overland expeditions,” lasting anywhere from a week to months at a time. These determined travelers know there will be logistical hurdles: some challenging accommodations, spotty gas availability, hard-to-obtain visas, required vehicle documents and licenses, and especially the unpredictability of some border crossings and multi-country itineraries.
Year after year, such intrepid travelers turn to us – and return to us – at MIR, where we are known and respected for our “logistical wizardry” in handling complex details, “doable-not-daunting” itineraries, with on-the-ground local support along the way. The Hong Kong Land Rover Club is a memorable example.
We began initial talks for this epic expedition about a year earlier, coming to fruition in 2013. We created a detailed itinerary, including accommodations, safe parking for the Land Rover vehicles, meals, gas stops, local on-the-ground support, guides, and sightseeing. We also handled very complex border crossing issues that might easily have wilted the most intrepid of travelers.
(click on photo for larger version)
This trailer for the club’s video series highlights their Silk Road adventure, shot to help raise money for their charitable cause, an eye clinic in Hong Kong. (You can view all of the Hong Kong club’s videos on YouTube.)
(click on photo for larger version)
I enjoy the challenge, and so does my deeply experienced team of MIR travel experts, sharing the uncommon places we love and unforgettable people we cherish on these overland expeditions at the crossroads of Europe and Asia.
More on “MIR’s 30 Years”
Learn more about “MIR’s 30 Years” in the stories below, all embedded with videos. They include MIR’s beginnings and the mindset and mission of MIR’s president and founder, Douglas Grimes; MIR’s utterly unique travel offerings at the crossroads of Europe and Asia; and Siberia, one of MIR’s favorites specialties.
- “Imagine Your Journey with MIR” (story); view video – MIR’s 30-year expertise in making dream trips come true.
- “198os Volleyball Diplomacy, and MIR’s Beginning” (story); view video – Volleyball is the game changer: a young Douglas Grimes dreams big, and his (MIR) world changes forever.
- “Back in the U.S.S.R.” (story); view video – Traveling back in time to MIR’s mid-1980s beginning, and a watershed decision.
MIR’s One-of-a-Kind Journeys
- “Handcrafted Journeys: Making MIR Movies” (story); view video – MIR’s memorable custom, private journeys are akin to making movies, including tracing family history “back in the old country.”
- “Epic Journeys: Ultimate Dream Trips” (story); view video – MIR’s adventurous overland expeditions include one Canadian couple’s extensive yearly travels, from driving along the Silk Road to motoring through China, Siberia, and the Balkans.
- “Beyond the Stars, Inside the Russian Space Program” (story); view video – MIR President Douglas Grimes’ favorite tour harkens back to the U.S.-Soviet space race, from exploring Star City’s once-classified cosmonaut training facility to witnessing the manned launch of a Soyuz spacecraft.
- “Overland Expeditions: Roving the World in Land Rovers” (story); view Land Rovers video – Land-roving at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, MIR creates an ambitious itinerary for 54 participants and 18 vehicles, from Kazakhstan to Turkey.
Siberia, A MIR Specialty
- “Why I’m Sold on Siberia” (story); view video – Countless reasons why MIR President Douglas Grimes loves this vast, pristine place.
- “Siberia’s Beauty of Lake Baikal” (story); view video – MIR President Douglas Grimes’ lasting memories of this legendary lake in Siberia.
- “Overland Expeditions: Channeling Siberia and Beyond” (story); view video – One of MIR President Douglas Grimes’ early (ad)ventures into Siberia with one channeler, her five dozen followers, and their six sacred crystals.
- “Overland Expeditions: Driving Siberia and Beyond” (story); view video – MIR helps intrepid motorists re-create the 1908 automotive Great Race in their 1928 vintage car, down to gas station locations in Siberia and tricky border crossings.
- “Overland Expeditions: Running Through Russia and Beyond” (story); view video – MIR’s extraordinary logistics for 79 runners and support personnel, running 5,500 miles from Eastern Europe to China via Russia and Siberia, all to promote safer drinking water.
- “Overland Expeditions: Total Solar Eclipse in Siberia” (story); view video – MIR prepares three years in advance to bring more than 300 travelers – “sun chasers” – to the heart of Siberia for a rare total solar eclipse.
MIR, in a Nutshell
- “MIR in a Nutshell” (story) – Compact and concise, here’s everything you need to know about MIR on one page.
(Top photo credit: Douglas Grimes – A Land Rover greets early sunrise at the heart of the Silk Road in Bukhara, Uzbekistan)
PUBLISHED: November 6, 2016