Russia by River & Rail: A New Way to Experience the Largest Country on Earth
Russia is the largest country on earth, and quite simply larger than life. It can instantly be recognized by its extraordinary onion-domed churches, iconic imperial palaces, and distinctive arts and crafts. But look beyond Red Square and the Kremlin and you’ll find that Russia plays host to an incomparable range of sights and sounds, from lavish pre-revolutionary architecture to simple, heartwarming homes, and from polished, modern cities pulsating with creative energy to the wild, untamed beauty of the taiga. A tremendous diversity of cultures have learned to co-exist here, in spite of the extremes of climate, terrain and history.
Experience for yourself the beguiling and surprisingly multi-faceted breadth of Russian culture, all while traveling in luxurious comfort and style, on the newest offering in our collection of luxury rail journeys by private train: Grand Tour of Russia: Across Russia by River & Rail.
After four glorious days spent in stunning St. Petersburg, travelers will board the comfortable and elegant M.S. Volga Dream cruise ship as it makes its leisurely journey on the scenic Svir River, disembarking in charming port towns and cities en route to the ship’s final stop, Moscow, the political and economic capital of Russia.
Discover the national treasures of this modern metropolis, then board the luxury Golden Eagle private train on an eastbound expedition along the legendary Trans-Siberian Railway, making fascinating forays into sophisticated cities, diverse communities, and fabulous places of natural wonder.
- The historic UNESCO-listed city center of St. Petersburg, with visits to the incredible Hermitage Museum, the beautifully restored Amber Room at Catherine’s Palace, and the imperial estate of Peterhof, with its famous fountains and gardens
- The Cathedral of the Transfiguration on Kizhi Island, built in 1714, completely without the use of nails
- Yaroslavl’s historic town center, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- The Church of St. Dmitry on the Blood, built over the spot where the body of Dmitry (heir to Ivan the Terrible) was found
- Moscow’s classic sites, including the 850-year-old Kremlin and Red Square, the Armory Museum, and the Memorial Museum of Cosmonautics, celebrating the Soviet Union’s exploits in space
- UNESCO-listed Kazan Kremlin, once a fortress of the Golden Horde
- The Church on the Blood in Ekaterinburg, where Czar Nicholas II and his family perished
- Novosibirsk’s massive Opera House, the largest in Russia
- Irkutsk’s neighborhood of wooden buildings, decorated with the lacy wooden fretwork typical of Siberian architecture
- The Circumbaikal Railway, the most scenic stretch of the original Trans-Siberian Railway
- UNESCO-listed Lake Baikal, the oldest and deepest lake on earth
- Ulan Ude, capital of the Buryat Republic, with the world’s largest Lenin head
- Visit to a village of Old Believers, exiled to Siberia after they rebelled against the 17th century reforms of the Orthodox liturgy
- Ulaanbaatar, capital and most important city in Mongolia
- Vladivostok, Pacific Rim port city and terminus of the Trans-Siberian line
Both the M.S. Volga Dream and the Golden Eagle Trans-Siberian Express offer best-in-class, all-inclusive, and first-rate services and amenities throughout the journey, combining Old World flavor with modern comforts, abundant food and wine, and onboard entertainment.
Travel on the Trans-Siberian with MIR
MIR has more than 30 years of Trans-Siberian Railway travel experience, with affiliate offices in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Irkutsk and Ulan Ude offering on-the-ground support. Our full service, dedication, commitment to quality and destination expertise have twice earned us a place on National Geographic Adventure’s list of “Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth.”
You can discover the Trans-Siberian Railway with MIR in a number of ways, from a deluxe or luxury rail journey by private train, to an adventurous small group tour or an independent trip put together just the way you want it.
Our menu of rail journeys by private train also extends far beyond the Trans-Siberian Railway. We offer an array of classic rail journeys along the Silk Route, into the heart of Iran, around Central and East Europe, and through the Balkans.
Chat with one of our destination specialists by email or by phone at 1-800-424-7289 to start planning your travels today.
(Top Photo: The M.S. Volga Dream cruises through central Moscow. Photo credit: Volga Dream.)
PUBLISHED: January 5, 2017