Six Cool Reasons to Travel This Winter
Winter is a dazzling time to travel – a brilliant time to get away from the humdrum of a gray and dreary winter.
Be one of the special few who get to:
- Go directly to the front of the line at famous sights.
- Mingle with the local people rather than other travelers.
- Surprise their families with an unexpected winter getaway.
- Enjoy the international opera and ballet season in world-class theaters.
- Play in the snow, with sleigh rides, ice-fishing, bonfires and hot mulled wine
- Celebrate the holiday season in a completely different way
MIR has spent more than 30 dazzling winters handcrafting tours that make creative and uncommon holiday gifts no one will ever forget.
Six Cool Trips to Take This Winter
- Celebrate New Year’s in St. Petersburg: Toast the New Year and new-found friends at a St. Petersburg New Year’s Party and dinner in a private Russian home.
- Discover Christmas Traditions of Poland with a brisk sleigh ride followed by roasting kielbasa on a bonfire and enjoying a festive tasting of Polish vodka.
- Cross the Arctic Circle by private train, searching for Northern Lights and visiting a snow hotel.
- Make your own holiday on a Siberian Winter Escapade with adventures on a frozen Lake Baikal, including ice-fishing, dog-sledding, snowmobile and hovercraft rides.
- Venture across Russia by private train on a deluxe Trans-Siberian winter rail journey.
- Design your own winter experience with the help of MIR travel experts. Interested in a custom family trip or private travel? Check out MIR’s Flexible Essential Private Trips, or contact us to design a custom journey just for you!
Celebrate New Year’s in St. Petersburg
Nobody loves New Year’s Eve like the Russians do – it’s the most festive holiday of the year, with parties, presents and champagne toasts. This celebratory tour revolves around New Year’s in glorious St. Petersburg, with Moscow merrymaking and a visit to 12th century Suzdal to round out the festivities (more info).
Celebrate Christmas in Poland Like a Local
Celebrate the heartfelt holiday traditions of Poland, wandering Krakow’s brilliant Christmas Market, and joining a Polish family in their Warsaw home for the intimate Christmas Eve feast called Wigilia, where you can sample 12 different traditional dishes.
Northern Lights and a Snow Hotel
Join a band of rail voyagers venturing above the Arctic Circle on a winter hunt for the spectacular Northern Lights. Head north from beautiful St. Petersburg to the frosty twilight of the polar region, in the warmth and comfort of a luxury private train (more info).
Frolic on a Frozen Lake Baikal
When you think of Siberia, you may think of punishment and exile, of barren tundra and vast expanses of nothingness – of a place of no return. The closely-guarded truth is that Siberia is a wild and wooded place of unimaginable beauty whose cities glow with warmth – especially in winter.
When snow bends the evergreen boughs in a Zhivago-esque backdrop, UNESCO-listed Lake Baikal freezes so hard that you can walk on water, race teams of sled dogs, and fish through the ice. Experience the rare opportunity to sweep across the frozen lake by hovercraft to sacred Olkhon Island, the place where the indigenous Buryat people believe the gods of Baikal to have lived (more info).
Experience Winter Magic in Eight of Russia’s Time Zones
Westbound: March 5-19, 2018
Russia is fantastic in the winter, especially when traversed by luxury private train. The country is at its most beautiful, the crackling air burnished by a fresh snowfall. Across Siberia, the faraway lights of the Trans-Siberian shine through the darkness like a moving beacon. Join us on this remarkable winter route traveling eastbound from Moscow to Vladivostok (more info) or westbound from Vladivostok to Moscow (more info).
Private Family Tour to Russia
Experience the highlights of a real Russian winter on a family-friendly holiday celebration. Ice skating in the middle of Moscow, a descent beneath the city to visit Stalin’s Secret Bunker, a private New Year’s Eve get-together in a St. Petersburg home (or, for the grown-ups, an optional evening at the posh Czar’s Ball in Catherine’s Palace), and warm welcomes at world-class museums, restaurants and performances are all featured in a holiday package for your family to unwrap at its leisure.
Leave the planning to MIR and enjoy a trip of a lifetime this holiday season. Special family features available on our private tours include (but aren’t limited to):
- An exclusive tour of the Gold Rooms of the Hermitage Museum
- Red Square and the Kremlin’s Armory Museum, where the czars’ collection of Fabergé eggs is on display
- A performance of the classic ballet, The Nutcracker, at a world-class Russian theater such as the Mariinsky or the Bolshoi
- Ice skating at a special winter rink set up on Red Square
- Izmailovo Market, bursting with Russian handicrafts, Soviet memorabilia, amber jewelry and lacquer miniatures
- A ride on a horse-drawn sleigh through a countryside village
Call 800-424-7289 for more information or complete our quick Custom Travel Inquiry form.
(Top photo: Troika time. Photo credit: Douglas Grimes)
PUBLISHED: September 12, 2016