Imperial Splendors of the Czars
St. Petersburg, home of the czars and their courts, is a rich repository of extravagant palaces, brilliant museums and renowned theaters overflowing with music and dance. Its fashionable boulevards and serene canals glisten in the “White Nights” of summer and dazzle on sunny winter days. Built by Peter the Great as Russia’s Window to the West, St. Petersburg is one of the world’s great cities.
MIR Signature Experiences on this Tour
Experience Russian hospitality in a private homeRead More
Venture inside a private Russian home for a traditional home-cooked meal of Russian specialties such as blini and borscht....
Wander the halls of one of the world’s great museumsRead More
Marvel at the fabulous collection of art on display in the world-renowned Hermitage Museum....
Cool off by the array of glistening, gilded fountains and cascades at PeterhofRead More
Discover the array of glistening, gilded and sculpted gravity-fed fountains and cascades at Peter the Great’s summer palace...
Attend a performance at a renowned St. Petersburg theaterRead More
Enjoy a memorable ballet or opera performance at one of the renowned theaters of St. Petersburg, where some of the world’s finest dancers, composers...
Why Travel with MIR on this Tour
- Over 30 years of Russia travel experience
- Travel programs such as Princeton and the Harvard Museum of Natural History have chosen MIR to guide them to Russia
- Twice named one of National Geographic Adventure’s “Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth”
- On-the-ground support and quality you can trust
- MIR affiliate offices in St. Petersburg, Moscow, Irkutsk and Ulan Ude
- Personalized travel planning from start to finish
- Guides and tour managers that clients rave about
Itinerary & Highlights at a Glance
Days 1-7: St. Petersburg and environs
Admire Peter the Great’s cultured capital, reflected in the superb Russian Museum, the polished columns of St. Isaac’s Cathedral, the elegant theaters and the recent proliferation of private art galleries, gourmet restaurants and fine hotels.
Visit the renowned Hermitage Museum, with its world-class collection of art and artifacts. Admire Peter’s summer home at Peterhof, boasting more than 150 gilded fountains and cascades. Explore lavish Catherine’s Palace with its expertly restored Amber Room, and the more modest Alexander’s Palace, where Nicholas and Alexandra raised their five royal children.
Enjoy a magical evening at the ballet or opera, step inside the exquisite Usupoff Palace and experience a traditional Russian dinner in a private home.
- Historic city center of St. Petersburg, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Bronze Horseman statue, made famous by Pushkin
- Russian Museum, the most comprehensive and moving collection of Russian art in the world
- Peter the Great’s original log cabin
- Iconic Church of the Savior on the Blood, with its blue, green and gold cupolas
- Peter and Paul Fortress, the earliest structure in St. Petersburg
- Usupoff Palace, where the plot against Rasputin came to fruition
- The incredible Hermitage Museum
- St. Isaac’s monumental cathedral with its 72-foot dome
- The cruiser Aurora, the ship that fired the shot that signaled the Bolsheviks to charge the Winter Palace in the October Revolution
- Peter the Great’s estate on the Gulf of Finland, Peterhof, with its famous fountains and gardens
- The beautifully-restored Amber Room at Catherine’s Palace
- Folk performance at Nikolaevsky Palace
- Evening at one of Petersburg’s renowned theaters
- Home-cooked dinner with a Russian family
- Alexander’s Palace, the favorite of Nicholas and Alexandra
- Pavlovsk Park and Palace, the last summer palace to be completed in Russia
Tour Dates & Prices
Land Tour Price, Per Person
based on double occupancy
- 2 Traveler Minimum $3,295
- Single Supplement $525
Your Choice of Dates
Start on a Saturday
Recommended months of travel:
- Min 2 Travelers
Pricing is based on a minimum of 2 travelers on this trip. Call for solo trip pricing.
Private trip prices vary by season and are subject to hotel availability for your travel dates. Hotel upgrades, additional nights and solo traveler prices are available on request.
On Your Tour
- Shared accommodations in the well-located Helvetia Hotel or similar.
- Breakfast daily, 1 lunch and 1 dinner, per the itinerary. Other meals are left free to allow independent exploration.
- Restaurant tips for included meals.
- Services of experienced, English-speaking local guides, drivers and other staff.
- One arrival and one departure transfer. (Additional arrival and departure transfers available at additional cost.) MIR will arrange for travelers to be met upon arrival and seen off on departure, whether we make your air arrangements or not.
- Ground transportation throughout itinerary by private vehicle (size of vehicle depends on group size).
- Guided sightseeing tours and entrance fees as outlined in itinerary.
- Evening cultural performances per the itinerary.
Before Your Tour
- Personalized pre-departure support from one of our knowledgeable Tour Specialists.
- Complete pre-departure information including detailed packing list and reading list.
- Touring with MIR handbook with country-specific information, maps, and travel tips.
- Customized visa application instruction kit (please note, visa fees are not included in the tour price).
- Final document packet including luggage tags, final updates, and more.
- Assistance booking your custom flight arrangements (on request; please note that international and internal airfares are not included in the land tour cost).
Prepare for Your Trip
MIR's in-house, full-service air department will gladly assist with your air travel needs.More Info
MIR recommends reading up before you leave home. So settle back in your armchair with some of our favorite books about our favorite places.More Info
Most MIR programs require one or more visas, and each visa requires a completely blank page in your passport. Visa information for this particular tour is listed in the Detailed Descriptive Itinerary.More Info
Stay a Little Longer…
MIR can arrange an extended program before or after your tour. Please contact us for suggestions and rates.
Or, choose from one of these suggested itineraries:
Is this Trip Right for You?
While the planned hotel is a very comfortable three to four star, please keep in mind that some aspects of the tourism infrastructure in Russia are not up to the standards North American travelers expect.
A full list of details about the rigors of this tour are explained in the Detailed Descriptive Itinerary.
Read our Travel Journals
MIR's Travel Journals offer first hand accounts of MIR's fascinating destinations.
St. Petersburg Seminar: Living – and Loving – Russian Culture
From November 13-20, 2011, three MIR colleagues - Jenelle Birnbaum, Liz Tollefson and Meaghan Samuels - traveled to St. Petersburg in order to try out a new Custom Group trip, a week-long seminar with an in-depth look at St. Petersburg's illustrious literary and arts traditions, momentous history and inspired culture.... Read More
Volga River Cruise with the Russian National Orchestra
Join veteran MIR client Moonyeen Albrecht on a cruise from Moscow through some of Russia's lesser-known Volga River towns, while attending performances of the world-famous Russian National Orchestra.... Read More
MIR in the News
New Year, New Tours
January 17, 2018
“If your New Year’s resolutions included adding more adventure to your life,” writes Kraig Becker of TripSavvy, an online publication written by travel and trip-planning experts, then be sure to check out Becker’s... Read More
January 2, 2018
Lifestyle and fashion website Inspirations & Celebrations recently included MIR’s Russian Winter Wonderland small group tour in a roundup of celebratory winter vacations to get you in the mood for the holiday season.MIR Cor... Read More
From the Blog
There’s Never Been a Better Time to Travel to Uzbekistan
February 14, 2018
With the election of President Shavkat Mirziyoev, the country is seeing infrastructure and relations improvements that make Uzbekistan a much easier place to get around — and that much more appealing for would-be travelers.... Read More
Celebrating Navruz in Uzbekistan: My Favorite Moments on a Festive Journey
February 13, 2018
Born and raised in Samarkand, Abdu Samadov is full of inside information about Uzbekistan. He has studied in England and the U.S. and is fluent in English, Farsi, and Russian. Abdu guides MIR travelers throughout Centra... Read More