Video Check-In: Folk Dancing at Bulgaria’s Kazanluk Rose Festival
MIR Tour Manager Michel Behar and his group of travelers on a departure of our Bulgaria & Romania: Frescoes & Fortresses small group tour, stopped to smell the roses and enjoy the festivities of Bulgaria’s colorful, fragrance-filled Kazanluk Rose Festival. It’s a yearly celebration of the town’s prized Kazanlashka rose with its heavenly scent and precious rose oil, grown in this “Valley of Roses” for more than 300 years.
Along with lively parades and traditional national costumes, Michel and the MIR group watched several troupes perform Bulgarian folk dancing, known for its complex asymmetrical patterns which require dedication, skill, and hours of practice to master. Michel shared this video of high school students performing their fancy footwork.
Michel has seen the Kazanluk Rose Festival many times, and says he especially enjoys the dances of the local Bulgarian schoolchildren. He says it’s one of the biggest events of the year for them, and they work hard in dance practice to perfect their steps.
It always strikes me how Bulgarian, Armenian and Georgian children all dance so well, it must be part of the curriculum. I loved that one young girl lost her shoe but continued to dance, anyway!
– Michel Behar, MIR Tour Manager
More Interesting Articles and Photos of Bulgaria
Here are more highlights travelers see and experience on MIR’s Bulgaria & Romania: Frescoes & Fortresses small group tour:
- Veliko Tarnovo: Bulgaria’s Royally Remarkable Town
- The Puzzle of Plovdiv, Bulgaria: 6 Reasons to Discover This Ancient City
- Photo Check-In: Soviet Kitsch Found in the Backwaters of Bulgaria
- Watch the Changing of the Guard in Sofia, Bulgaria (video)
- Drink Up! Fine Wines of Bulgaria, Romania and Moldova
- 5 Reasons We Love Sighisoara, Romania: Transylvania in Photos
- The Castles of Transylvania: Bran Castle and Peles Castle
- Travel Guide to Transylvania: Brasov, Bran and Dracula’s Castle
- Monument to Excess: Ceausescu’s Romanian Palace
- Video Check-In: Meeting a Master Romanian Icon Painter
- Beginner’s Guide to Romania’s Painted Monasteries of Bucovina
Travel to Bulgaria with MIR
MIR has more than two decades of Bulgaria travel experience, offering on-the-ground support and quality you can trust, and guides and tour managers that clients rave about. MIR’s full service, dedication, commitment to quality, and destination expertise have twice earned us a place on National Geographic Adventure’s list of “Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth.”
Bulgarian folk dancing and the Kazanluk Rose Festival are just a few highlights on our June departure (there’s also a September departure) of MIR’s Bulgaria & Romania: Frescoes & Fortresses small group tour, which explores the complex history and culture of these two countries.
Contact MIR today at email@example.com or 1-800-424-7289 to learn more.
(Top photo:Young dancers await their turn to perform at the Kazanluk Rose Festival in Bulgaria. Photo credit: Michel Behar)
PUBLISHED: June 10, 2015