World Nomad Games - Kazakhstan 2024
The World Nomad Games have been held on an approximately biennial basis since 2014. The first three took place in mountainous Kyrgyzstan, and the fourth in Turkey. In 2024 the fifth event will be in held on the steppes of central Kazakhstan, in its capital city, Astana. As always the games will showcase a range of nomadic traditions, games, and sports from nomadic and semi nomadic peoples found all around the world. On this five-day, private itinerary you’ll attend the opening ceremony of the games, attend two days of events, and also spend some time exploring the city of Astana. For those hoping to attend the entirety of the games, the trip can be expanded to nine days, ending on September 15 and encompassing the closing ceremony and a further three days of events.
This journey is designed to be booked privately, ideal for individuals, couples, or friends. The dates are set and timed around the games.
Travels to: Kazakhstan
Days 1-2: Astana (Kazakhstan)
After arriving into Astana, spend the next day getting to know the futuristic capital of Kazakhstan. You’ll attend the Opening Ceremony of the World Nomad Games on the second day.
- Admire the ultramodern architecture of Astana along Nurzhol Boulevard.
- Take in views out over the city from Baiterek Tower.
- Attend the Opening Ceremony of the World Nomad Games.
Days 3-5: World Nomad Games in Astana
Spend another two nights in Astana, attending the games on two days. Enjoy some additional touring in Astana in the afternoons, when the events are over.
- Browse the exhibits at the National Museum of Kazakhstan.
- Tour the massive and newly built Astana Grand Mosque.
- Attend games and sports including horse racing, horseback games, eagle hunting and falconry, wrestling, and archery.
- Learn about nomadic cultures from around the world at the games, with representatives from Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Mongolia, Turkey, and more in attendance.
Dates & Prices
- Listed prices below are based on double occupancy and a 2 traveler minimum.
- Additional nights in Astana and solo traveler prices are available on request.
- An upgrade to a 5-star hotel is available on request.
- While bookable on a flexible, private basis, the trip dates must include September 7-11, 2024 (extendable through September 15) to match the dates of the World Nomad Games.
Land tour price, per person, starting from:
Available: SeptemberMain Tour PricingTour, double occupancy$2,295Single supplement$415
- Accommodations as noted in the itinerary.
- 4 breakfasts (other meals left independent).
- Services of experienced, English-speaking local guides, drivers, and other staff.
- One arrival and one departure transfer. Additional arrival and departure transfers available at additional cost.) MIR will arrange for travelers to be met upon arrival and seen off on departure, whether or not we make your air arrangements.
- Ground transportation throughout the itinerary by sedan or minivan (type depends on group size).
- Guided sightseeing tours and entrance fees, as outlined in the itinerary.
- Complete pre-departure electronic document that includes detailed packing suggestions, reading list links, country-specific information, maps, travel tips and more.
- Assistance booking your custom flight arrangements (on request; please note that international airfare is not included in the land tour cost).
- Electronic final update bulletin, with any late news, updates and important information.
- World Nomad Games entrance fees.
- International airfare and taxes/fuel surcharges.
- Meals not specified as included in the itinerary.
- Single supplement if requested or required.
- Items of a personal nature (phone calls, email, laundry, alcohol, excess baggage, etc).
- Gratuities to guides, drivers, and support/service staff (at restaurants, hotels, etc.).
- Visa/passport fees, airport departure fees.
- Expenses incurred as a result of delay, modification or extension of a tour due to causes beyond MIR’s control.
- Travel and trip cancellation insurance.
Level 2: Moderate, but Customizable
Accommodations are comfortable and based on standard four-star hotels. It is important to keep in mind that the country of Kazakhstan may not be up to the standards North American travelers expect. Services are improving; however, you may encounter problems with bureaucratic service, road conditions, plumbing, unpaved sidewalks, uneven surfaces and steps, variety of locally available foods, and availability and quality of public restrooms. You are traveling in some areas that see few travelers, and the infrastructure is not yet fully developed.
While this program is designed to be the most comfortable possible for travel in this region, it is rated as rigorous touring due to the daily walking involved and the overall shortcomings of the tourism infrastructure. This itinerary features a significant amount of touring on foot. Many streets are of packed dirt, and some attractions are only accessible via steep staircases with tall, uneven steps.
Every effort has been made to make the information in this schedule accurate. However, trip itineraries are always subject to change. We do our best to inform you in advance of any changes, but due to the nature of travel in Central Asia and attending games like these, this may not always be possible. Only those willing to accept these conditions should consider joining this program.
To reap the full rewards of this adventure, travelers must be able to walk at least a mile a day. Flexibility, a sense of humor and a willingness to accept local standards of amenities and services are essential components to the enjoyment of this trip.